Tuesday, August 21, 2012

FROM WASHINGTON'S BLOG

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/08/because-i-was-silent-when-they-came-for-others-when-they-came-for-me-there-was-no-one-left-to-speak-out.html

Because I Was Silent When They Came for You, There Was No One Left to Speak Out When They Came for Me

First they tortured a U.S. citizen and gang member …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a criminal
Then they tortured a U.S. citizen, whistleblower and navy veteran …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a whistleblower
Then they locked up an attorney for representing accused criminals …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a defense attorney
Then they arrested a young father walking with his son simply because he told Dick Cheney that he disagreed with his policies …
I remained silent;
I’ve never talked to an important politician
Then they arrested people for demanding that Congress hold the President to the Constitution …
I did not speak out;
I’ve never protested in Washington
Then they arrested a man for holding a sign …
I held my tongue;
I’ve never held that kind of sign
Then they broke a minister’s leg because he wanted to speak at a public event …
I said nothing;
I wasn’t a religious leader
Then they shot a student with a taser gun and arrested him for asking a question of a politician at a public event …
I remained silent;
I wasn’t a student
Then they declared that they could label U.S. citizens living on U.S. soil as “unlawful enemy combatants” and imprison them indefinitely without access to any attorney …
I remained silent;
I didn’t want to be labeled an enemy
Then they declared that they could assassinate U.S. citizens living on U.S. soil without any due process of law …
I remained silent;
I assumed I wasn’t on a list
Then they threw political dissenters in psychiatric wards …
I remained silent;
I didn’t want to be seen as crazy
When they came for me,
Everyone was silent;
there was no one left to speak out.
Inspired by the poem First They Came by Martin Niemöller, which was written about the Nazis.
I originally wrote this poem in 2007. I have updated it with  additional verses as current events have unfolded.

No comments: